For the last week, I've been thinking I need to write something about October being Spina Bifida Awareness Month, but I've just been mulling this around in my head. I'm always asking myself and others "What's the point?" What is the goal of this SBAK class we're doing? What do we want to accomplish with this mailing? What outcomes do we want to see from this event? And that's what I've been struggling with:
What's the point of Spina Bifida Awareness month?
I've never completely understood awareness ribbons. Breast cancer awareness--Who is NOT aware that breast cancer exists now? What's the real purpose? To me, it seems the purpose is to make us women aware that we need to do self breast exams and get checked out by our docs from time to time. Okay, that's a worthy goal, but is that the clear message we hear this month? And Autism ... well, the awareness campaigns have been pretty successful, I guess. Every time I see one of those puzzle clings on someone's car, I see another person affected. But again, what is the point of this awareness?
Every now and then I see a Spina Bifida Awareness ribbon or car cling, and I've actually never been a fan. To me, that just says, "Hey! Look at me! My kid has Spina Bifida!" So? Is that what I want everyone who passes my car to know about me and my kid? How does that help anything? (To be fair, probably the only reason I don't have one of those ribbons on my car is because they're not easy to find. I wouldn't go online looking for one to order, but if someone was selling them in front of me, I'm sure I'd buy one.) I have bought a bracelet that says "Spina Bifida Awareness--Hope." And I've just bought some awesome T-shirts that say "Redefining Spina Bifida." Those are clearer messages to me. (Okay, it's totally becoming apparent that I was a communications major.)
So tonight I finally sorted it out in my head. For me, there are two great things that can come from Spina Bifida Awareness Month. For others there might be other goals, such as advocacy for their children. But these are the two that stand out to me:
1. To make all women of childbearing age *aware* that they need to be taking their vitamins BEFORE getting pregnant. And since about half of all pregnancies are unplanned (60% in Kentucky, fyi), that means all of us should be taking a multivitamin or prenatal to help prevent birth defects by up to 70%. (Preaching to myself here too.)
Some people say they eat a healthy diet, so that's good enough. Uh-uh. Did you know you'd have to eat 14 cups of broccoli, or drink 8 cups of orange juice, or eat 200 medium red apples EVERY DAY to get enough folic acid? Honey, just take the pill and get it over with.
I'm going to be honest, I know this is an important goal simply because most people really are unaware, but this has never been my fire. I do work health fairs and explain all this to women, but it's sort of beside the point for me. And I know it's because I was taking 1mg of folic acid 4 months prior to getting pregnant, and it still happened. I also know it happened for a reason.
2. The other goal I see as important for SB Awareness Month is to let women know that if they find out their unborn baby has Spina Bifida, there is no reason to terminate that pregnancy. This is my fire.
I totally understand that overwhelming fear, because I was there too. I also wished the "problem" would just go away. I also got bad news ... The most severe form of Spina Bifida. L2--higher than average. Arnold Chiari Malformation and hydrocephalus. It was terrifying.
I chose to trust God. I knew He doesn't make mistakes, and if He gave this child to me, He was going to help me raise him. And I don't want to sound like a crazy person, but He told me so. I heard Him. Not audibly, but very clearly.
And this is what I got:
A handsome! ...
silly ...
train-loving ...
outgoing ...
stubborn ...
Did I mention train-loving? He really, really loves trains ...
brave ...
HAPPY! ...
running! ...
fun-loving ...
Daddy's boy ...
totally adored ...
musically gifted (That's right, I said it! He's gifted!) ...
hard-working ...
Superman!
Does that look like a boy who has a poor quality of life to you? Does he look sad, or sick, or disabled?
Some might say, "Well, sure, but he's an exception." No, not really. It's true--Nate does not have a whole lot of medical issues. I know some kids who have fewer issues than Nate, and some who have more. But you know what? I think all of us think our kid is the exception. We all consider our kids miracles, and they ARE because we gave them the chance to be. Not because we're any braver or stronger or more patient or better parents than anyone else, but only by the grace of God.











18 comments:
I also have been struggling with the "Awareness" idea this month. It has bugged me that I couldn't put my finger on what it was I wanted to share about it either. You said what I wanted to say but couldn't find the words to say it! Nate truly is a handsome Superman! Thanks for sharing~
I feel the same way about "awareness" in general. I think, great - so we are aware, now what. For me the fire is also in letting other families know they don't need to terminate their pregnancies, despite what the doctors say. I know this was scary for us when we found out, and I am now so very thrilled we didn't go that direction. I couldn't imagine not having Charlie!
You said my thoughts exactly. With Autumn we became that little percent with major issues. Autumn can not walk, talk, or breathe on her own BUT she's full of life, joyful, and inspirational. I do not care what the drs. say your child will NEVER do...like you said, just give them the chance and they WILL prove the drs. wrong.
Very well put. I think I'll just leave it at that. Nate and Georgia are very lucky kiddos!
Great post Colleen!
I so agree.... the prevention thing bugs the heck out of me because I too was totally doing it all, and it still happened. I jsut don't think that there is enough research behind al of that! BUT I am all about no termination, and acceptance. My Nat is a bit older, and I am so tired of the "he's different" crap.... He's different? Yea, so am I! Just get over it and accept him, just like we accept everyone's differences.
Off my soap box now...
Again... great post :)
You said it perfectly. I didn't realize it until now that your second point is my fire as well. I too was taking a multivitamin with the suggested folic acid amount, but it still happened. I can honestly say termination never crossed my mind, but it certainly crossed the mind of others (some of who chose to share those thoughts with us).
I truly, truly hope your post encourages other women and shows them that these are children made by God's design. They have so very much to offer. My daughter had hundreds of people talking to God before she was even born!
Thank you again for sharing your thoughts. They really helped me sort mine out!
This is my fire too. Thank you for posting! So perfect.
Beautifully put, Colleen!!!! For me, SB Awareness is also an opportunity to educate others that are considering adopting... perhaps they might make the choice to adopt a child with SB and give him/her the quality of life they deserve!
Thank you for vocalizing some of my same feelings. I totally agree about spreading the word the having a child with spina bifida does not mean the end of the world. There may be more challenges, but life can still be wonderful for everyone! My daughter had her lesion at T12/L1, Arnold Chiari II, clubed feet, and hydrocephalus. It all sounds so awful, but none of those things have been as terrible as I expected. Our daughter is a happy person with a great quality of life. Thank you for reminding me why I care about "awareness." I think it is why I have chosen to blog about it, too.
:) I too think its most important to spread the awareness of what spina bifida really is. How wonderful and how happy our kids are. How blessed we are to have them.
The Lord also have given me peace that this is His will and He has a perfect purpose through Carson's life. I think part of that is giving me a conviction to help mothers not terminate their pregnancies at the diagnosis of SB.
sidenote- I never knew that Nate was L2. What a blessing and encouragement your superman is. Lots of love!
Awesome, Colleen. Really, really fabulous!
I love the way you said it Colleen! I have been super excited about SB month, but didn't know what to do with it. Thanks for the perspective!
Colleen,
Thank you for your great post. For clearly stating you more important "point #2". And for encouraging me with your comments on my own journey.
Katie
I love this post Colleen! Nate is Superman, just as all of our kids are. They are true heros and were given to us by the grace of God.
Colleen, my first time visiting your blog (awesome by the way!) and what a beautiful family you and Blake have. What I just read was amazing and absolutely melts my heart. You two are special people. You are blessed with a wonderful family but even more so, your children are blessed to have you as a parent. Best wishes and hope to see you soon!
Beautifully written(as always)
:***)
Absolutely love this post. I'm going to share this with some of my coworkers. I work for a company that distributes catheters so we work with a lot of moms with children that have spina bifida and I think everyone could use some additional information on this. Your little man is absolutely adorable - I have a train-loving little one too. :) Thanks for this.
I love this.. i am currently pregnant and many people have also voiced their opinion on termination... I don't feel it’s an option for me and you and the comments have totally given me new hope. Thank you for the encouraging words.
Post a Comment